Long-distance hiker and walker Liz Thomas on the West Avalon Stairway in Echo Park. Photo by Robert Inman
Liz Thomas’ love for hiking and the outdoors has found her trekking along some nation’s most well known hiking and walking trails, including the 2,181-mile long Appalachian Trail and the 2,650 mile Pacific Crest Trail. But on Monday, Thomas, who is described as an “adventure athlete,” was walking through Echo Park and Elysian Heights in preparation for an urban trek across the public stairways and streets of Los Angeles. Monday’s stair climbing was a warm up for her attempt to walk a route that includes 300 stairways from Pasadena to Santa Monica and San Pedro. The 175-mile route is modeled on the 300-stairway course that Eagle Rock resident Robert Inman and two urban hikers took about a year ago.
It took Inman’s group 9-1/2 days to complete the journey last year. Thomas plans to do it in five days. “The idea of a long urban walk in Los Angeles on our public stairways has caught her attention and she is out this way,” said Inman.
Liz Thomas and fellow stairway climbers. Photo by Robert Inman
Inman, who joined Thomas for part of her trek through Elysian Heights on Monday, provided a list of some of the communities and number of stairways that await Thomas:
- Pasadena and nearby communities: 11 stairways
- Eagle Rock, Adams Hill, Verdugo Village: 14 stairways
- Glassell Park-Mt Washington: 18 stairways
- Highland Park, Garvanza, Hermon 31 stairways
- Montecito Heights, Lincoln Heights, El Sereno: 26 stairways
- Downtown, City Terrace, Boyle Heights: 13 stairways
- Greater Echo Park, Elysian Park area, Solano Canyon, Temple Beaudry 42 stairways
- Greater Silver Lake 61 stairways
- Franklin Hills – Los Feliz 21 stairways
- Hollywood Hills: 27 stairways
- Westside, Palisades, Santa Monica area 27 stairways
- South Bay, Palos Verdes, San Pedro 22 stairways
Thomas begins to plan her journey on Thursday. “Keep your eyes open for Liz and welcome her to our magnificent city,” Inman said.
Read the Full Story at Eastsider LA