Are you looking for ways to enhance the bloom of your orchids? Unexpectedly, a common household item – bicarbonate of soda – can serve as a wonderful remedy. This article is going to guide you how.
The Benefits of Bicarbonate of Soda for Orchids
Bicarbonate of soda is a simple, yet effective solution for orchestrating a more vibrant bloom in your orchids. This household product provides two key components that can influence your plant's growth. Firstly, it contributes sodium bicarbonate, an element that benefits plant growth. Secondly, it supplies orchids with carbonic acid, a known promoter of blooming.
Steps to Use Bicarbonate of Soda on Orchids
The process of applying bicarbonate of soda to orchids is fairly straightforward. Follow the steps outlined below:
- Start by dissolving a tablespoon of bicarbonate of soda in a litre of water.
- Let the mixture settle for a full day, or about 24 hours.
- After the settle period, gently water the base of the plant with this mixture.
- For treating the leaves, add some black soap to the mixture and spray it over them.
- Ensure to wait for a month after the bloom to follow this procedure, as it stimulates regrowth.
Optimal Placement of Orchids for Growth
Knowing where to place your orchids can dramatically enhance their growth. Orchids need indirect light and thrive best in temperatures between 18 and 22° C. Here are some potential places in your home where you can place them:
- Light-filled corners of the house such as living rooms, offices or sunny window sills make great spots.
- Shelves or side tables can work, provided that they are not overcrowded.
- Consider well-lit, slightly damp bathrooms with natural light.
- If you lack floor space, think about hanging the orchids from a basket or a special holder. Not only it saves space, but also adds an interesting aspect to your home decor.