The last in our series of Pasadena-area architectural walks takes place in lovely Madison Heights, the neighborhood bordered by California on the north, Glenarm on the south, Lake on the east and Marengo on the west. Much of this neighborhood was built between 1910 and 1917, and it is rich with the architectural diversity that defines Pasadena: Arts & Crafts bungalows, Georgian colonials, Spanish casitas and family homes of all types.
Here we find another Pasadena neighborhood that keeps its eye on historic preservation, thanks to the active Madison Heights Neighborhood Association. It is interesting to note the connection to Pasadena’s Eastern roots, with street names such as Euclid Avenue, named by area founder C.M. Skellen for a street in his hometown of Cleveland, Ohio. The neighborhood runs north-south, so we like to zigzag up and down Oakland, Madison and El Molino. Thanks to the abudant mature trees, it’s a shady walk even on a hot day. Here are a few buildings you shouldn’t miss.
E. J. Blacker House (1912)
675 S. Madison Ave.
No, not that Blacker House. This fine Craftsman home was built a few years later than its grander Oak Knoll neighbor to the south.
Heineman-designed House (1911)
885 S. El Molino Ave.
This Craftsman home was designed by Arthur S. Heineman, who famously penned The Periodic Cottage in response to an article called The Bungle-ode; both were published in 1918 in Architect and Engineer of California.
Father of the Bride House
843 S. El Molino Ave.
Okay, maybe it’s not in the architectural books, but millions of fans of the two Father of the Bride movies have lusted after this traditional colonial, which was gussied up within an inch of its life for the filmings but is a beautiful house in any condition.
Allendale Branch Library (1920s)
1130 S. Marengo Ave.
At the southern border of Madison Heights, this adobe structure is currently a Pasadena Public Library branch as well as a school library for Allendale Elementary School. Built as an isolation hospital for patients with infectious diseases, it transitioned to its role as a library in 1951.