Estate Jewelers of South Pasadena

KPCC Blogs


Weathering the emotional ebb & flow of seasonal changes

Weathering the emotional ebb & flow of seasonal changes

Do rainy days and Monday’s get you down? You’re not alone. For years, doctors have been treating people for seasonal affective disorder (SAD), depression usually associated with sun-deprivation. But good weather impacts our moods too. Warm, sunny days can make us feel free and frisky. Yet, according to neuropsychiatrist Dr. John Sharp, suicides increase during [...]

New California driver’s licenses driving people crazy with delays

New California driver’s licenses driving people crazy with delays

“New and improved” always comes with a hitch, and this time, it’s the new California’s driver’s license. The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) says the new license—with its raised signatures and California icons—is more expensive and more secure. That’s because they’re harder for scammers to counterfeit, but they’re also more complicated for manufacturers to make [...]

Are Chinese mothers superior?

Are Chinese mothers superior?

In the global race for intellectual capital and academic excellence the US is losing out to China whose students score so much higher than Americans on standardized tests in reading, math and science. These test results reflect a culture of parenting in China where greater emphasis is placed academic success and parents demand that their [...]

Guns on campus – a right, or very wrong?

Guns on campus – a right, or very wrong?

A Gardena High School student was taken into custody this morning after a gun he was carrying in his backpack went off, injuring two other young people. First reports say the shooting was an accident, but in a time of great concern over increasing violence and arguments over gun control, how does a student bring [...]

Award season series: Blue Valentine

Award season series: Blue Valentine

Love is most certainly part of the human experience, but with every high comes an equal low. Therefore, falling out of love must also occur in life. Derek Cianfrance's <i>Blue Valentine</i> is the story of one such occurrence, of Cindy (Michelle Williams) and Dean (Ryan Gosling) who meet, fall in love, raise a daughter together, [...]

Location, location, location! Los Angeles is a great place to make movies

Location, location, location! Los Angeles is a great place to make movies

Since the dawn of the industry, movie studios have taken advantage of Los Angeles’ favorable climate and versatile architecture and topography to portray every conceivable location. Downtown lofts become Manhattan; Universal City stands in for the hills of Alabama; not to mention the countless times the City of Angels has played itself on the big [...]

Award season series: Blue Valentine

Award season series:  Blue Valentine

Love is most certainly part of the human experience, but with every high comes an equal low. Therefore, falling out of love must also occur in life. Derek Cianfrance's <i>Blue Valentine</i> is the story of one such occurrence, of Cindy (Michelle Williams) and Dean (Ryan Gosling) who meet, fall in love, raise a daughter together, [...]

The cut-throat quest to find dark matter, dark energy & a Nobel Prize

The cut-throat quest to find dark matter, dark energy & a Nobel Prize

What is the 4 percent universe? It’s the one that encompasses everything we see: you, your dog, your dirty laundry, Earth, Sun, planets, stars, galaxies. What makes up the remaining 96%? Well, that’s where things get tricky. It’s all the other stuff we can’t see in any form. Astronomers call it “dark matter” and “dark [...]

Can you hear the willows weeping? L.A. county clear-cuts a grove of trees in Arcadia

Can you hear the willows weeping? L.A. county clear-cuts a grove of trees in Arcadia

In the movie trilogy <i>Lord of the Rings</i>, the Ents (J.R.R. Tolkien's imagined tree-like creatures) rise up from their roots to take part in a great battle against evil, after many of their brethren are chopped down. Unfortunately for a grove of trees in Arcadia, none of them showed the ability to stand up and [...]

Haiti one year later – despite massive aid, huge needs remain

Haiti one year later – despite massive aid, huge needs remain

One year ago, a devastating magnitude 7 earthquake struck Haiti. An estimated 220,000 people were killed, hundreds of thousands of homes and commercial buildings were destroyed, and vital infrastructure was severely damaged. Despite a tremendous aid response and numerous aid organizations working to rebuild Haiti, millions of people are still living in tent camps without [...]

Gooden Open House Saturday, January 11

Maude Woods - Opening October 22nd in Pasadena

a

a

Camelot and Vine

Search