Their scientific name is Hemerocallis. Those who are not so scientific, call them daylilies.
The daylily is “sometimes referred to as the perfect perennial.”
Because it is:
- Available in a rainbow of colors and a variety of shapes and sizes.
- Able to survive with very little care in a wide range of climates.
- Suitable for all types of landscapes.
- Drought tolerant when necessary, with relatively few pest and disease problems.
- Adaptable to various soil and light conditions.
- Known to bloom from late spring until autumn.
Thank you, Daylilies.org.
On June 7th-8th, the Southern California Hemerocallis & Amaryllis Society will once again sponsor the annual daylily show at the L.A. Arboretum. Demonstrations and educational opportunities will abound, an area will be roped off for the serious minded and the judging, and, of course, bulbs will be for sale.
Daylily photograph, top right, by Magnus Manske (Wikimedia)