Email

Mystery History No. 34

Apr 27, 2015

All_Saints_Church_Pasadena_1886Where are we?

What’s happening?

In this 1886 photo, right, All Saints Church is decorated for Christmas services.

 

 

Here’s a more modern look at All Saints at Christmas:

 

All_Saints_Ch_Xmas

 

All Saints was founded in 1883, the first Episcopal parish in Pasadena. Members who had begun meeting in a private home three years earlier purchased a site among orange groves at Garfield Avenue and Colorado Boulevard in 1885 and built a small wooden church there.

 

church-colorado

 

In 1889 a newer, temporary church opened at 123 N. Euclid Avenue. As the congregation grew, additional space became a priority. In 1923 the architectural firm Johnson, Kaufman and Coate was commissioned to design a new building.

The beautiful new church, designed in a Gothic Revival style, was dedicated in 1924, three years before Pasadena City Hall was built.

Here’s a photo of City Hall under construction with All Saints in the background.

 

Pasadena_City_Hall_Construction

 

Constructed of stone quarried from Bouquet Canyon in the Santa Clarita Valley and roofed with Vermont slate, the church houses a large display of decorative arts in the style popular in the early years of the 20th century, from the Ernest Batchelder floor tiles to windows created by Tiffany and Judson Studios.

 

All_Saints_Ch_Glass_Windows

 

All Saints Church is listed in the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Civic Center Historic District.

 

All_Saints_Church_Pasadena_CA

 

Many thanks to Pasadena Public Library, All Saints Church, Walk N Ride LA and Michael Locke.

 

~~~

 

Ann Erdman is happily retired after decades of loyal service to the City of Pasadena as Public Information Officer. Her blog may be found at AnnErdman.blogspot.com.

 

Ann-Erdman-Hat-City-Hall_Pasadena




Discussion



Fiore

Flintridge Books

Lyd and Mo Photography

Louis Jane Studios

Homage Pasadena

Search