On Thursday, July 31st, Trattoria Neapolis presents “Craft Cocktails,” the first class in a 3-part series, which will benefit Pasadena’s AIDS Service Center. “Students” will listen, observe, participate, and sample four craft cocktails. Each drink will be paired with a “bar bite.”
But let’s start from the beginning:
- The evening shall begin with the history of spirits, including bourbon, rye, vodka, gin, tequila, mescal, scotch, and brandy. Anyone thirsty yet?
- The history of cocktails will be presented, from pre-Prohibition to the present, covering the commonly held terminology.
- Drink making—what we’ve all been waiting for…This will include:
- Tools needed to make great cocktails
- Juices and the importance of freshness
- How to make simple syrups
- Speed pouring (1988. Tom Cruise. Cocktail.)
- Correct measurements
- Stirring and shaking
- Dilution and the importance of ice
- Formulas to make bespokes (custom-made, made to order)
- Order of pour
- Barrel-aging techniques
Ultimately, the evening will offer “sample building” of an Old Fashioned, the Easton (a Trattoria Neapolis favorite consisting of house-infused cucumber vodka, fresh lime, and mint), a Margarita, and an Espresso martini (coffee bespoke).
We have been told that Kris Doyle, Trattoria Neapolis’ lead bartender, will “reincorporate the original drink building techniques to the given circumstance.…He will focus primarily on drink building and formulas that will allow guests to learn how to make drinks from home with great quality and precision.”
And while folks are absorbing this wealth of information, they’ll be sipping on an Old Fashioned and nibbling on a beef short rib manwhich. The Signature Easton cocktail will be paired with heirloom tomato bruschetta, the “Tommy” margarita with shrimp ceviche, and the espresso martini with bombolini (fresh Italian mini donuts).
Anyone drooling just a wee bit, checking the calendar, ready to dial and make a reservation? If so, call 626.792.3000.
The other two events in this series—again, proceeds benefit the AIDS Service Center—include Craft Beer Tasting on Thursday, August 28th, and Sparkling Wine Tasting on Thursday, October 2nd.
Crafting Cocktails Class
Thursday, July 31st, 6:30 p.m.
Trattoria Neapolis, 336 S. Lake Ave., Pasadena 91101
Cost: $50 per person
In Hometown Pasadena last June (6.17.2013), contributor Julia Harm called Trattoria Neapolis “the best new restaurant in Pasadena.” (Read full review here.)
All photos courtesy of Trattoria Neapolis.