Echo Park Bank of America gets an update/Photo by Scott Fajack
The Bank of America branch at the corner of Echo Park Avenue and Sunset Boulevard is going from a shade of gray to a cream color. Now if they could only get rid of those big, red plastic signs, which detract from the decorative columns and plaster work.
The branch is perhaps Echo Park’s oldest business. The Echo Park Historical Society has a page dedicated to the building:
Bank of America’s presence in Echo Park extends back to March 5, 1926, when the Commercial National Trust and Savings Bank of Los Angeles, one of B of A’s many predecessors, opened a branch about one block west at 1706 Sunset Blvd. in what is Jensen’s Recreation Center. But on January 27, 1927, the branch had become part of another B of A predecessor, Liberty Bank of America, and its address had changed to its current location at 1572 Sunset Blvd, according to Bank of America historical records. More than three years later, on November 3, 1930, the branch at the southeast corner of Echo Park and Sunset carried the Bank of America name.”
Read the Full Story at Eastsider LA